Summer Camps 2013 was a great success by several measures…Spiritual impact, attendance (lots of new 7-8 year old campers), SALT’s (Servant And Leadership Trainees) attention to responsibilities, a faithful summer staff, and many other improvements. To measure our effectiveness we ask parents and campers for their feedback through Summer Camp evaluations.
On our Summer Camp evaluations, we asked camper parents, “Did our Servant-Leaders positively impact you child?” Here are some of their responses:
- “Daniel said that spiritually this was the best counselor he ever had. Even better than the others that he adored & keep in touch with.”
- “Yes, helped Sy think of Bible study in a different way. Open his eyes to some new.”
- “Yes, they lead in a responsible way. They made David fell like they were friends.”
- “Yes, teaching great values by being great mentors, etc. Chris shared a lot of good stories and did a good job of building relationships with kids.”
To the question “What factors that influenced your decision to choose CWR for your child’s camping experience?” We received a special reply:
- “Staff! Alex has Tourette’s [syndrome] and it seems to be difficult for him to make friends or fit in. When he goes to CWR he just fits in like other kiddo’s and it is such a blessing for him that he is able to join in and do a camping experience and the stories he has to share. Thank you so much!!”
Welcome New CWR Staffer
Jeremy “Forklift” Thomasson, who served with us last spring while completing an internship for a B.S. in Recreation & Leisure, is joining the fulltime CWR staff. He and his newlywed wife Lindsey (married in September) both graduated from University of North Texas in August. We were surprised when he first approached us at how closely the vision God had put on his heart aligned with the mission and vision of CWR. That and based upon how delighted we were with his work last Spring, we knew he needed to join the CWR staff. Please pray for the Thomassons as they are in the process of raising a prayer and financial support team and preparing to move from Allen, TX to CWR by November 1st. (All CWR staff raise the financial support to cover their compensation.) The Thomassons will live on CWR property and utilities expeneses will be covered by CWR.
Come Serve with us!!! – Weekend Campouts/Retreats Fall 2013
We need YOU to come help with facilitating activities, cook and serve meals, and general hospitality.
If you have personally experienced how enjoyable and meaningful a retreat like these can be, please consider coming out to help us facilitate a God-honoring, family-building weekend.
If you are planning an event in the next 18 months contact Bryan
Please pray with us…
- Safety and Success in our service to the Lord and to the people God brings to CWR!
- Fill CWR retreats and campouts calendar and maximum attendance for each gathering
- Volunteers to serve with us for retreats, campouts, and workdays Fall 2013
- Summer Camps 2014 planning and Staff recruiting
- Staff financial support to reach their 2013 budget target by end of 2013.
Challenge Course Basic Volunteer Training
Training was very successful, with 12 participants and great instruction on philosophy (challenge objectives, attitude, working with participants), skills (spotting, belaying, using carabineers, etc), and techniques (harness and helmet fitting, rope handling, care, storage).
Mark your calendar! The next available Challenge Course Volunteer Training is November 23, 2013. If you are interested in serving with Low or High Ropes for both retreats AND Summer Camp, you MUST attend one of these training! Please contact Bryan Turner for more info.
Christian Service Brigade
CSB -- Biblical Manhood through Servant-Leadership in the name of Christ Jesus. Learn more at www.csbministries.org. CSB Unit 7854 – Bastrop – Smithville area is reforming now. Contact Chris Kerby, email@example.com or call 512-589-1777 understand how you can participate. On Monday, October 28 at 6:30 pm an information exchange meeting will be held at Grace Bible Fellowship, 133 Flahive Drive, Bastrop, Texas.
If you’re looking for a Christian alternative to Boy Scouts of America check out CSB.
Discipleship With A Purpose
Our staff is now in the fourth week of Discipleship With A Purpose (DWAP), a 20 week long study. The introduction to the 1st lesson, The Call to Discipleship, says:
Camp Needs for 2013-2014
- Tractor Implements: Down pressure kit & auger boring bit: $1,400
- Rifle Range improvements: $2,000
- AED Unit (Automated External Defibrillator): $800
- Pickle Ball Court materials & equipment: $500
- Health Center - Refurbish seating/sleeping area & bathroom: $1,000
- Ice Machine: $500
- Coffee Shop - flooring, building a counter with sink, appliances, simple furnishings: $700
- Pamper Pole (high ropes element): $4,000
- Dangle Duo (high ropes element): $2,500
We need a part-time cook for
weekend camp out/retreat groups during Fall 2013 and Spring 2014. A Christian man or woman is welcome to
contact Sandy Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 512-775-8312 details. Please
pray to see if God is calling you or someone you know to this position. Compensation is available.
What role might you perform in Summer Camp 2014? Under 18 years old we have the Servant And Leadership Trainee (SALT) and ages 18-99 we need Servant-Leaders to lead a group of 8 campers or SALT’ees, Chaplains, specialist (lead projects like making Survival Braces, rope making, etc. to Markmanship), Medical Officer, and maintenance/repair crew leader. Please send us an email expressing you interest to: email@example.com we’ll contact you soon.
Camp Wilderness Ridge is a REAL Camp…
- Reject Passivity
- Expect the Greater Reward, God's Reward
- Accept Responsibility
- Lead Courageously
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Christ Jesus,
“Ranger” Ron Hunt (66)