P.O. Box 1025
Smithville, TX 78957
1320 Park Road 1C
Smithville, TX 78957
Dear CWR Family,
We want to give a big thank you to Shawn Hammer for the major impact he and his family have had on Camp Wilderness Ridge over the past three years. In the next few months, the Hammer family will be leaving CWR. A letter from the Hammers to their ministry partners is included below:
Over the past couple of weeks we have felt God calling us away from the ministry at Camp Wilderness Ridge. We aren’t really sure what that looks like specifically, but we are seeking God’s will for our family and confidently expect Him to reveal our next adventure.
This is both a sad and a happy time for us as endings/beginnings always are. We have made so many dear friends, served alongside so many wonderful people, and grown tremendously through our time at camp.
We feel that God has been using our time at Camp Wilderness Ridge to grow and change us as individuals and as a family. We are a better family now than when we were first directed to serve at camp, and we are excited to see what other opportunities for growth that God has in store for us.
While there are many things about this season that we don’t understand, there are a few things that we have confidence in. God is always faithful, God works all things together for good, God is moving his plans forward, and God will continue to care for our family and yours.
We have spoken about this with Ron, and the Camp Wilderness Ridge board is also aware of our situation. They have very graciously given us an opportunity to continue to live and serve at camp during this transition period. If you have the chance to do so, please thank both Ron and any of the current and past board members for giving us the opportunity to play a part in rebuilding the amazing ministry of Camp Wilderness Ridge.
Thankful, Shawn Hammer & Family
Thank you, Shawn, for your service to our campers and guests. You will be missed!
The Christmas shopping season is here!
Christmas Summer Camp DEAL… Keep a look out after this Thanksgiving for our Camp for Christmas Gift special, an incredible gift for any boy or young man in your life -- including a certificate for 1 week at Summer Camp and a gift in a box that you can put under the tree for unwrapping on Christmas morning. The Camp for Christmas Gift deal will be available Friday, November 28 through December 19 so we have time to ship it off to you!
Calling all Summer Camp Staff!
Reunion for CWR Staff Alumni & Christmas Party, December 19-21
All past AND potential Summer Camp Staff are invited to our Summer Staff Christmas Party Weekend. White Elephant Christmas gift exchange, Tacky Sweater Party, Polar Bear Swim, bonfire/pig roast, and lots of fun & surprise activities!
Everyone must register below.
Guys only! Please invite anyone who you would like to work with you at Summer Camp next year to register too!
(All Past AND Potential Summer Staff Welcome -- That means invite your friends who might be interested in working at Summer Camp in 2015!)
December 19-21 (Friday through Sunday)
$50/person for the whole weekend
$35/person if you can only make the Saturday festivities
$25/person if you can only make it for Friday night
Price covers all food, accommodations, activities, and special gift from CWR to you.
End of Year Giving
We’re thankful for what God is doing at CWR. We are a faith-based ministry. As 2014 comes to an end we asked that you prayerfully consider financially partnering with one of the CWR staff, send a special gift or commit to regular contributions in 2015.
Please be a part of the historic rebuilding of the property that God has been faithful to restore after the 2011 Bastrop Complex Fire. To get the job done, we need you! If you missed last month's update on the Lake Pavilion Rebuild Project, be sure to visit http://wildernessridge.com/pavilion-project
Please pray with us for Camp Wilderness Ridge (CWR), as follows:
- Praise for needed rain!!!
- Meet financial needs of CWR staff… we appreciate & need staff ministry partners.
- Financial gifts to complete build of serving kitchen and restrooms under construction at new Lake Pavilion.
- Full retreats calendar, and that each group will have a great turnout…to gather, encounter and change.
- Hammer family protection and provisions
- Turners’ baby girl, Becca born November 24, 8lbs 5oz, and 20.5” long) both mon and baby healthy!
- God’s vision, holiness, wisdom, and unity for the CWR Board of Directors and permanent staff so that all decisions and actions bring Christ Jesus honor and glory. Next board meeting is scheduled for December 6
Spring 2015 Retreats, Campouts, & Events
Does your church, small group, or community need a Father/Son, Father/Daughter, or Family Campout? Men’s Retreat? Team-building event? Service project? For info on what we can provide and available dates, contact: Jeremy Thomasson at email@example.com or (214) 718-2618. Also visit: wildernessridge.com/retreats
CWR Needs List
- Ten (10) loads of road base for various locations on both properties: $160 per load
- Improvements to all three (3) Marksmanship ranges: $1,000 each
- Three (3) horseshoe pits: $150 each
- John Deere Gator utility vehicle (used): $3,000 - 4,000
- High Ropes elements:
- Harnesses (6) - $35 each
- Chest Harnesses (3) - $30 each
- Pamper/Power Pole (Leap of Faith): $3,200
- Dangle Duo high ropes element: $2,100
Please make your end of year gift at : http://wildernessridge.com/give
or call our office at (512) 237-4442
Small or large groups come perform one or more of the following:
- Paint cabins and complete tarp replacements
- Complete final section of brush clearing or installing ranch fencing (non-barbed) around camp perimeter
- Finish dirt retaining wall & steps at new Pickleball Court
Training for Full-Time Staff
Congratulations to Cody Benge for successfully completing a 40-hour Challenge Course Facilitator certification through Adventure Experiences, Inc. Apprentice Daniel Benoit recently completed Food Handler Safety Training through ServSafe.
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Christ Jesus,
“Ranger” Ron Hunt (67),
(512) 554-5074 / firstname.lastname@example.org